Sunday, March 8, 2009

My Own Saturday Marathon

Well everyone, I finally did it. I participated in my first ever marathon this past Saturday. Ok maybe not, I hate running just to run. It just makes me tired and winded (like an old man, which I will be on Friday, hmmmm).
BUT, I did compete in the first ever (and soon to be annual) Darwin-a-thon this past Saturday.
As I sat watching my team, the Jazz come back from 19 down to smash the Nuggets Friday night (tied for 1st in the Northwest Division!), I decided I better make my Saturday a productive one.












So, bright and early, at 7 a.m., I stumbled out of bed and drove to Orem where I competed with my fellow Noni-ers (a.k.a. my Orem City League team of coworkers) in a rigourous game of B-Ball. After 1 1/2 hours of sweat and missed shots, my buddy Payton invited me to play some raquetball for the next 45 minutes. THis was the first time I ever played racquetball and needless to say..... there was more sweat as seen below...


















BY now, you can imagine that I was not only as sweaty as Richard Simmons, but also very fatigued. However, I decided it would be a good idea to go Bouldering at the Quarry. This isn't quite as fun as it used to be, but I made the most of it and sufficiently beat my arms and upper body to a pulp.














I did this for about an hour and decided that I was done for. It was only 11:30 and I had accomplished my mini Darwin-a-thon. Usually at 11:30 on a Saturday, all I have accomplished is falling out of bed and eating a big bowl of Marshmallow Mateys.

I think it's safe to say, I'll continue to on with my Darwin-a-thons. If there's any takers you want to do them with me, let me know, and I'll sign you up!

I'm thinking though, as the weather warms up, the sports in teh Darwin-a-Thon may have to change. Let me know what your suggestions are, but if not the pics below should serve a sampling of what could transpire.
Tennis... although I'm going to need someone to play against (any takers?)


















Rock Climbing?


















Badminton is the Denmarkian national sport. Why not?


Hitting the Links is a possible option if I'm doing a mentally challenging Darwin-a-Thon
















Softball? Can't go wrong with the competitive spirit of sweaty old guys... or in my team's case, a bunch of college students.




Or maybe I'll follow Riley and Kandas' example and incorporate wakeboarding into the Darwin-a-Thon. However, next time, I think I'll ditch the short shorts.
















1 comment:

Kandas said...

LOL... I like the short shorts!! They match your Richard Simmon shorts from the picture above! I also did a little marathon on Saturday. Ri must have not realized it was freezing on Saturday and thought a nice little jog would be a good idea. Actually nice nor little belong in that sentance. I am not a runner what-so-ever. Remember the story about last years 3 mile race and the man with the oxygen tank right behing me....yeah enough said!!
So, we ran 3 miles on saturday and then finished up our race with some intense sit-ups and a push up contest! I wanted to cry in the process but felt pretty good after. I am no longer scared of the scary man in my basement because I am pretty sure after my Kandas-thon I can take him!!